Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Musings for Moms: Summer 2018

Here we are readers, almost two-thirds of summer break is over... and I have to say, I am a bit saddened by it.  Mostly because I am not ready to let go of summer yet.  I am not ready to pack lunches, help with homework (common core math - you know where you can go!) or wear sweaters and winter coats yet.  I am a lover of the hot weather and sunshine, not the bitter cold and gloomy overcast sky.

I get it though, it's tough to keep the kids entertained for three months during the summer.  This summer both of my boys were signed up for a day camp.  It's a few hours a day for five weeks.  There are field trips, get to play sports, run around the playground and crafts.  And when it is ridiculously hot outside, they turn the sprinklers on for the kids.

The boys and I have been venturing out this summer, now that they are getting older and napping is no longer a thing (well, mostly) it is getting a little easier to go places... Well, mostly... not going to lie, if they aren't excited about doing something - all hell breaks loose, but if they are, then a good time is had by all.



First new thing we did this summer was take a double decker bus tour of the city.  Yes, there are double decker buses in Pittsburgh!  The tour is nearly three hours long and takes you from the South Side, Station Square, North Side, Downtown, Oakland and a lot of stuff in between.  Granted we probably went on a day we should have been in the air conditioning.  It was in the mid-upper 80's but it was my birthday and we were going to have some adventure to celebrate it.  Granted we all stunk and had ridiculous amounts of sweat in every crack and crevasse, but it was worth it, we got milkshakes afterwards to cool off... win-win if you ask me. 

We all liked it and I was able to tell the boys various things on our journey like, at one time I used to work here or your dad worked here, this is where I work now and oh this is where dad and I got married.  We also learned some interesting facts like there are FOUR rivers in Pittsburgh - not three!  Yep, you read that right...

We have gone to the movies a few times this summer already.  Most recently we have seen The Incredibles movie.  We gorged on popcorn (one small loaded with butter for the older boy (just like his dad), one large without butter for me and my mini) and icees.  Is it just me or does everyone else think the prices at the concession stand are ridiculous?!  I mean our snacks were more than the three movie tickets!

We reclined back (yes, our movie theater has leather recliner seats... it is amazing!)  and watched the movie which picks up right where the first one left off 14 years ago.  That's all I will say about that, because I don't want to ruin it for anyone who might not have seen it yet.

The most recent thing we did was go to the Carnegie Science Center to see The Art of the Brick by
Nathan Sawaya ... The exhibit is very awesome - and if you get a chance to check it out before it is gone, you most certainly should.  I cannot even begin to fathom how many legos were used for the entire exhibit nor can I imagine how much super glue was used ...

We also got to see the Vintage Grand Prix races, which are always fun.  The boys will be going back to the science center for a camp field trip and to the movies as well.  As for us, I want to get a trip in to Kennywood and our family vacation then it will be all about Kindergarten orientation and back to school ... But we are making memories that hopefully will last their lifetimes... and that is what is important.




No comments:

Post a Comment