Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Interview with Robert Walicki

1.  Tell our viewers a little about yourself.  How did you get into writing?

 I always felt the need to express myself in a creative way. I drew,painted and wrote, but it wasn't until much later that I felt that writing was where i wanted to focus all my energies on. A Friend gave me a book to borrow. It was 'Satan Says" by Sharon Olds. I wasn't the same after reading that. My whole world had changed and knew I wanted to be a poet, however long that took me to accomplish.

2.  Tell our viewers a little about Fountain, your latest book that was just released.

 In the title section of  my last book, "Black Angels", The poems centered on my work experiences as a plumber and reconciling my identity and place in that world. In many ways, Fountain is a companion book to Black Angels, but It goes further. I wanted to bring a stark lyricism to those gritty experiences, and I feel I've achieved that in Fountain.The poems in Fountain also explores blue collar living and what that means, how it affects and shapes the speakers in those poems as well.

3.  What was the inspiration for the book?

I know that writing about work isn't unique,but my experiences are, as is my story. Poets that write about work and everyday experiences with grace, honesty and nobility, poets like Jan Beatty, Phillip Levine ,Dorianne Laux and Michael McGriff were and still are a great inspiration to me and this book. I owe a lot to them.

4.  Will you be out promoting the book, I know you have done readings and such for your other books... if so, where will you be?

I have a few events coming up. Sunday,, March 15th I'll be reading at Revival, a restaurant in Bellevue PA with two great poets, Fred Shaw and Robert Gibb, for Fred's book launch of "Scraping Away" his latest book. Then on March 26th i will be participating in the benefit reading "Disarm" for Squirrel Hill Stands Against Gun Violence and Ceasefire PA. Featured readers for that reading will be : Kelly Andrews, Cameron Barnett, James Croal Jackson, Sharon McDermott and myself, with proceeds going to SHSAGV, so I'm really looking forward to what's coming up! Folks can find these events on Facebook below for more information:

https://www.facebook.com/events/176185953678716/
https://www.facebook.com/events/942965559432150/


5.  Where can our viewers find your book?

My publisher has a page. They can find it at the following http://mainstreetragbookstore.com/product/fountain-robert-walicki/

6.  Where can we find you on social media? 

Folks can find me here on Facebook, where they can connect or message me if they are interested in having me do a reading!  Robert Walicki


Robert Walicki's work has appeared in and is forthcoming in a number of publications including, Chiron Review, The City Paper, Fourth River, Signal Mountain Review, Red River Review, and others. A Pushcart and a Best of The Net nominee, Robert currently has two chapbooks published: A Room Full of Trees (Red Bird Chapbooks, 2014) and The Almost Sound of Snow Falling (Night Ballet Press, 2015). His first full length collection of poems, "Black Angels" is currently available from Six Gallery Press, and his most recent collection. “Fountain” is now available  at Main Street Rag Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment