Friday, June 26, 2020

Abstract Theory - Interview



Abstract Theory

 
                                                        Photo credit: Shyan Montuoro

I promise you I will never forget April 16, 2019! Matt Calvetti hosted “The Get-Together” in Lawrenceville, which was a unique opportunity for a few local Pittsburgh artists to showcase their musical talents & artistic skills.  I was networking and selling fine art throughout the event. Whenever Abstract Theory started performing that’s when I stopped dead in my tracks! They had my full attention and nothing else mattered! They were high energy, captivating, no messing around, passionate, obviously talented, and unique! That’s when I realized there is rare opportunities for me to hear local Pittsburgh Hip Hop performers. I am thirty-five years old and I literally can count one other time! One! Which makes me ask why? What can be done to make sure Pittsburgh is giving musicians a proper future? With that being said enjoy the following interview with Abstract Theory!


1. Can you tell us about your background (where your love of music started, how did Abstract Theory begin)?

Louie: My love for music started with my father. When I was four or five, he bought me a keyboard for my bedroom. I set it right in front of the window and play it, terribly and as loud as possible, with the window open. We used to live in the projects so If some of the kids from around walked by I'd scream "Hey, listen to my music". I began playing terribly and as loud as possible. When I thought the song sounded done, I'd look, and no one would be standing there. I laugh quietly to myself when I tell that story cause now people pay to hear me play. I love it. Being so young and knowing I wanted people to hear what I had to say and express musically is a joy to look back on.

Troy: I grew up in Great Neck NY and I feel like my love of music started with my parents. My parents always played music like Led Zeppelin and The Grateful Dead and I love both of those bands, but my world changed when I discovered hip hop. I spent days on end learning rhymes, watching music videos, and interviews. I think being from NY also really influenced me since that is the birthplace of hip hop. 

As for Abstract Theory, we began after meeting through a mutual friend. We literally met freestyled together once and the rest is history.

2. Where do you think the Hip Hop scene is headed in Pittsburgh? 

Louie: I think the Hip Hop scene in Pittsburgh could/is only going to go up from here. But to be honest, it's nowhere near where it should be. That's why we've been working so hard and collaborating with as many creatives as possible to bring it into the proper lighting, so to speak. I know Troy and I speak on this often, but Hip Hop isn't a genre of music it's a culture and a way of life. It's something you live and stand by. Hip Hop is about community and building a path for future generations to lay steppingstones. As far as I see there's no clear end to Hip Hop, almost like a consistently loading video game scenery while walking through an rpg world.

Troy: It’s so hard to say. To start off with there are only about 5 emcees in the city I actually respect. Most “hip hop artists’ aren’t doing the culture justice so by default the culture doesn’t have a proper future. Most rappers are JUST rappers. They aren’t embodying hip hop. Hip hop is a lifestyle, it’s a being, it’s a vibration, it’s who you are at your core. Millvale music fest didn’t even have a hip hop/rap stage last year and hip hop statistically is the BIGGEST genre in the world. I think that speaks volumes on how the city views what we do and the culture we’re apart of. The only rap acts featured last year were the politically safe choices in the city. Hip hop only has a future if it’s nurtured properly. OGs and people like Louie and I need to teach and the young need to study. This culture is founded on peace, unity, and self-betterment. Right now, almost all of what I hear is drugs, material items, and disrespect towards our women.

3. Who are your most influential emcees?


Louie: There's too many for so many reasons, especially the earlier emcees because everyone has their own style, so to speak. Back in the day if you were caught jockin' someone’s style, you'd get the beat down, no if ands or buts about it. Nowadays, everyone sounds the same, everyone has the same autotune, the same look, the same flow, very few are out here doing something creative and different. But out of a list of 10, I'd have to say
1) MF Doom 2) DAS EFX 3) Mac Miller 4) Joey Bada$$ 5) Big L 6) Eminem 7) Isaiah Rashad 8) Mos Def 9) Biggie Smalls 10) Digable Planets

Troy: Slug of Atmosphere (the king, the goat, Rhymesayers is the best label in hip hop PERIOD), Black Thought, Common, Kendrick Lamar, and DMX


4. What do you want your audience to get out of your lyrics?

Louie: I want them to be able to connect, relate, and find solace somehow some way. Or be able to find a new friend just because their fans of us and they start their friendship through that.

Troy: I want them to understand that it is up to them to take charge of their own life. Society will not hold your hand and there are evil forces that wish to suppress us. Take matters into your own hands. Work hard, read, travel, grow, laugh, meditate, eat healthy, and most of all experience as much as possible.
Photo credit: Pat Bruener


5. I know that you recently did a European Tour!!! Can you describe what that opportunity was like?

Louie: The tour in the Netherlands was amazing. But it left me feeling almost empty inside because I knew I didn't reach my final goal or full potential yet. 

Troy: The tour was incredible. We made so many fans and had so many genuine interactions. We played for a minimum of 500 people a night at sold out shows. When you’re preceding a legend, it can be hard to captivate a seasoned audience, but we did and that felt amazing. We even got the cosign from KRS One and his whole team which was a dream come true. To me that was the ultimate sign that we’re on the right path and will be soon be legends in this culture. 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Photo credit: Pat Bruener


6. Tell us some of your favorite experiences performing live?

Louie: One of my favorites is the first time I performed live with Troy. We actually performed for a few hundred students at PSU. We got to perform our first song we wrote together and a few others. Because that moment was so enjoyable and the crowd payed attention, if I get nervous, I usually think back to that performance. Another is probably one huge tie between the shows in the Netherlands. The people there are extremely humble with an alacrity to learn about you and from you. It makes me feel like I am beginning to reach others and connect with the world. 

Troy: Waaaaaaaay back in the day, eons ago, year 1 of us performing in the city. We played Art All Night, and, in the crowd, there were like 12 middle-high school kids vibing. I jumped in the crowd during one song to rock with them. Louie and I took a photo with them afterwards. There was one show on the KRS One tour where I freestyled with KRS on stage and he gave me props. Under the Bridge Festival which is a grassroots festival I threw with Louie that garnered over 500 people. We headlined since we put it on and just seeing how many people came out to support was incredible. Lastly literally anytime the crowd sings along with us I lose my shit.


7. Any information on any upcoming music from Abstract Theory? Where can our readers find out more information about you guys? (social media)?

Louie: We've been working on a ton of music. We have an album for you and quite a few singles between the two of us that we can't wait to release. We have also been stepping up our game on the merchandise side of things. From lunchboxes to yoga pants we got some amazing designs for the world. We've also been closely working with some of our favorite creatives in Pittsburgh to collaborate on merchandise. Every month or so we will be collaborating with another creative to put out some dope exclusive merchandise in our Digital Pop Up Shop, all of which are only available for FOUR hours each drop. Personally, I'm a fan of having something not many people have, so we wanted to create that idea around our merchandise. You can find the digital pop up shop on our website abstracttheory.net. If the store isn't open, you can find info on when it opens again.

Troy: New project is in the works now, tons of solo work from each of us, when COVID is over the greatest events Pittsburgh ever done seen (laughing maniacally). You can find all of our updates on Instagram @abstracttheoryofficial and you can check out our music on all streaming services by searching Abstract Theory. 


Natalie is the author of The Many Colors of Natalie, a book of poetry.  She holds an associates degree in Specialized Technology Le Cordon Bleu Pastry Arts and in her spare time is an artist and percussionist.

No comments:

Post a Comment