Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Musings for Moms - Where to Begin...

I recently posted this on Facebook, "All I’m going to say is I don’t care if your child plays a minute or for the full game… it’s not about winning or losing it’s how you play the game that matters… RESPECT
I’m lucky that Liam’s (and Col's) coaches teach the boys how to win and lose gracefully and respect everyone on that field."

The reason behind the post, well, what I saw at a few games from both the referees and the other team was disgusting behavior.

First, I get it, being a referee is the last thing I would want to do - A LOT OF PRESSURE - but the past two seasons it's like the refs just don't care what is happening out on that field - and they are the only protection our kids have out there... let me repeat that - THEY ARE THE ONLY PROTECTION OUR KIDS HAVE OUT THERE.

They should be blowing that whistle for a lot more than a kid throwing in a ball and lifting his foot... and as of late that seems to be the norm.

Spitting is far worse than hitting - I would think even more so now with COVID... but the ref didn't see a player get spit on even after the players were saying the boy got spit on - game went on as usual....

Another game, a kid got seriously hurt when an opposing player leapt up and tackled the player - the ref started the game before a replacement player was even out on the field for the injured one. The tackeler didn't get removed nor did the coach go over afterwards to say anything to the other coach... you know find out how seriously injured the kid was.

When did we become such a ruthless society? One that doesn't give a crap about anything else other than ones-self?

I think everyone needs to step back and reassess some things right now...

1. If referees don't want to make the tough calls - do not go out on that field. It may be easy money for you - but it is not worth it if you won't do what you are actually supposed to do out there...

2. Coaches - it is time to stop winning at any cost. Teach your players how to win without injury and cheating. Teach the players how to lose gracefully because let me tell you - life is full of both wins and losses and the kids that can't lose - well, it's not good.

3. Parents - please don't yell things like "do it again" or any of the other colorful phrases that are blurted out - after a kid is injured and you can hear him screaming in pain... It's tacky.


And that is all I got to say about that.... It really isn't I have so much more to say - but I am stopping myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment