Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Interview - Matt DeReno


I have known Matt easily for a good decade.  Working together, writing for various blog sites.  It was fun work.  That is actually how this site started.  While life got busy and we don't write together anymore, I am happy to have this chance to interview him on the release of his first novel.  It is a huge accomplishment.  


 1. Tell me a little about yourself?

Matt De Reno is the publisher of Scratch Writing Press, an imprint of Scratch Wring, Inc. Matt is also the author of the Midas Protocol, a sci-fi thriller series, and writes many of the blogs from scratch postings which you can find on his website, ScratchWriting.com.

Author of The Midas Protocol, Matt, has a history degree from Wheeling Jesuit University and has worked at Carnegie Mellon University, IBM, and consulted at other technology companies. He lives in Pittsburgh with his wife, daughter, and son. If you would like to get in touch with Matt, have coffee with the guy, buy him a beer, or have other inquiries, please make the first contact with him. You can email Matt at matt.dereno@scratchingwriting.com.   


2. Tell me a little about the novel you just published?


The Midas Protocol: Midas Files Book One is a thriller novel in line with the X-Files type of science fiction. It is heavy on character development and is the first in a series of at least three books. I won't say it is a trilogy because then if you add a book or two or some spinoff story, you break the trilogy concept. But it is undoubtedly a trilogy.







3. You were working on the book for years. What was the inspiration to start it and to finally put the finishing touches on it?


I don't think I initially had the confidence to finish it, and so while I talked about it for years, I never quite got around to finishing it. And, isn't that true for most aspiring authors? However, a friend asked me to help ghostwrite his novel, and it was during that process that I asked myself, "If I can do this for somebody else, why not do it for myself?" That motivated me to get it finished finally.

The inspiration to start it came from my childhood love of reading Alexander Dumas of the Three Musketeers Fame. In particular, I loved  The Count of Monte Cristo, which I loved as a young reader. The Midas Protocol attempts to emulate some of that thriller romanticism in the story.

To tell the full story, I initially imagined the Midas Protocol to be a thriller only story. However, after watching the Twilight vampire movies with my daughter when she was younger, I was flabbergasted about how bad they were. It was then, I thought, heck, why not put a vampire in my story and have at it. So, I converted one of my bad guys to a vampire. Later, as I rewrote the story, he became more of an alien than a vampire, though there are some similarities to vampires as this character eats two human beings in the Midas Protocol.  Toward the end, this villain takes on more of a Marvel comic evil guy villain and less vampire.


4. What is your writing process like?

Typically, I try to get up early to maximize my creativity, which seems to be at an all-time high when I am making that first pot of coffee.  This schedule usually gives me a good hour or so before anyone else is up, or I start getting bombarded with work emails from professional job and other inquiries.  


5. You also write for several blog sites in your spare time; what is the most fun site you ever wrote?

I wrote many blog articles for a guy in Los Angeles way back in the late 2000s. When I was writing for this guy, I loved writing satire, movie reviews, crazy conspiracy, and Haunted Houses' stories. I have since repurposed some of those articles with fresh updates for my blogs today, CoolFilmz and The Funny Newz, which are microblogs on my main website, ScratchWriting.com.


 6.  Where do you find the inspiration for these stories?

I think other books that I have loved inspire me much, and therefore I look for ways to emulate them with my little wrinkles or unique takes on a subject.


 7. What is the essential part of writing the story, in your opinion?

Putting your heart into it and writing the story that you want to write. I am convinced there is a market for the result of any story where you put your blood, sweat, and tears into it.


 8.  What do you think makes a good story?


There needs to be absolute completeness in terms of logic and attention to the small details. Admittedly, this is not always easy to achieve, and it is more of a journey of self-improvement as a writer. However, if you aspire toward wholeness and attention to story detail, then your book will benefit as a result.


9.  I know writing is your hobby, how do you make the time to write?


 Sometimes you have to rob Peter to pay Paul. That is to say, finding the time to write is more about prioritizing creativity over time wasters or things that can be done anytime. You can certainly include social media on that list of time wasters. It is a gift to write, and to me, that sometimes takes precedence over something more mundane like painting the garage floor, which I finally got around to doing last month.


10.  What advice do you have for our young writing friends out there?


Follow your dreams and don't be afraid to write whatever you want. You can't edit a blank page, and all writers were young once and had the same feelings, fears, and aspirations. Writing is accessible to all. Don't let a mean English teacher tell you otherwise. The most important thing to do is to start writing and writing from the heart. That is it.


 11. How can writers connect with you?


 Check out my website at www.ScratchWriting.com. There you can sign up for the newsletter and read my blogs, and get updates on my books. Also, fans can connect on Facebook and Twitter.


Nicole Leckenby - Co-founder of the Holiday Cafe, soccer mom, dancer, councilwoman and author of children's books.  Enjoys interviewing people and writing stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment