Friday, January 5, 2018

Arachnophobia

Everyday I pass by the baby spider I killed
Three weeks ago.
Black body on white wall, inches away
From my pink shower curtain,
I stare at it as I get in and out.
    I refuse to lay it to rest.

A childhood fear lead to its
Merciless murder, and fear
Drives me to leave it untouched.
I will not throw the bug away.
“It could never hurt you anyway”
But still it remains on the wall,
Where I stare at its small,
    Crushed being.

Death is like that.
I won’t touch it, won’t talk about it.
But I can do nothing about it.
Death cannot hurt me.
Until one day, when it finally does.

But then, will I even really feel that hurt?
I am scared of death just as much
As I am scared of a tiny creature
That I could crush in two seconds,
    But I acknowledge the spider.



Paige Perla is a writer and freelance editor from Pittsburgh, PA. She enjoys writing poetry and fiction. Her previous work has been featured in Aeons and the Carroll News.

No comments:

Post a Comment