Friday, January 5, 2018

Lisa DiGorio Interview

Me - Tiny Dancing
I was never one for playing sports when I was a child; instead, I danced.  I started somewhere around two and continued on for many years.  The past few years I have been wanting to get back to my dancing roots, especially with shows like So You Think You Can Dance, making me miss those days even more.

A few years ago we moved into a new house and one day I was walking home from dropping my son off at preschool and saw a sign for a dance school.  Upon further inspection, it was my dance teacher from my childhood. I wasn't the only one who moved.

I messaged her to find out if she offered any adult classes.  Sadly she didn't. A year went by and I thought I would try again but asked if she would teach me private lessons because I just wanted to dance again. 

Lisa told me I could come dance with the high school class.  Talk about intimidation...not only has it been 25 years since I put on a pair of ballet shoes but these girls were that much younger than me too.

It has been a lot of fun and everyone in the class is great.  I honestly cannot say enough good things about the girls (and guy) that I am in class with.  The week of Thanksgiving all the dancers put on a Christmas show.  I was in four numbers and while I survived it, my legs hated me the next day. 

For our last class before Christmas break, we went to Lawson's Nursing Home to perform our four dances (plus a few other numbers that I wasn't a part of) for the elderly residents. I was truly touched by this experience (and honestly it made me miss my grandmother a lot).

I had the chance to talk with Lisa post-visit about going to Lawson's and a few other things...

1. Recently you took a group of your dancers to Lawson's Nursing Home to perform for the residents.  When did you start going out into the community to perform, more as a philanthropic act of good instead of entertaining?

As long as I have owned my studios I have been involved with the community.  This is my 39th year in business.

2. What made you start doing these types of visits? 

I have always felt that I should give back for all of the blessings I have been given.  The gift of dance has enabled my students and me to spread cheer throughout the communities that I have been involved in.  Along with community performances and nursing home visits, my Holiday Show has always been a charity event to help children.

3. Where else have you taken the dancers to perform for the community?

I have done Light-Up Nights in the boroughs of Glassport, Port Vue, and West Mifflin.  I have also performed at Idlewild Park, Century III Mall, Pleasant Hills Middle School for the Fire Companies Christmas Event and Pleasant Hills Community Day.

4. What do you think the people you visit as well as the dancers get out of these visits? 

The residents get to remember days that have gone by and reminisce about fond memories.  I believe that my dancers bring some joy and happiness.  My dancers learn to give the gift of themselves.

5. Can you tell me about your most memorable visit or performance?  Where was it?  What happened?  

The truth is that every performance is special because I know that someone else is touched by that performance.

6. Where is one place that you personally, or your dancers, would love to perform?

I would love to take my ALLSTAR Dance Team to Disney World.  I love to watch them compete at Regional and National Competitions.


If you have a child that is interested in wanting to dance, check out The Lisa DiGorio School of Dance in Pleasant Hills at www.dance4lisa.com

Nicole Leckenby is the driving force behind the Holiday Café blog spot.  She also works full-time and runs after two very energetic boys at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment