Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Winter Issue- Book Review - After You

Book Review - After You




*Note – If you have not read this story, this review contains some spoilers. All opinions are my own and may differ from your views of the story.

 

Well hello Winter! Here we are coming up on the holidays and some of my favorite reading time (okay, okay, most of the year is my favorite reading time). As I reflect on the year, I’ve had some great reads, some meh reads and reads that I couldn’t finish. One of my great reads I reviewed earlier in the year -Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I can’t really write this review without spoiling the first book, so I greatly apologize (or if you really want to read the first – stop here!). But as my bestie can attest to, I agonized over this review and how to structure it, so bear with me.

So Me Before You was an amazing book in my opinion. I hit the full range of emotions with this book, which for me, is the sign of a great story. It was also thought provoking, which I tend to like as it makes me pause and think of my own views on things I maybe wouldn’t normally be pondering. In this case, the subject tackled was assisted suicide. Will was a vibrant young man who in the blink of an eye becomes a quadriplegic. Fast forward after time to come to terms with his new life and what it entailed, he chooses to end his life. As his family grapples with this decision, they seek out a care giver that might change his mind, that might give him a new reason to live. Enter Louisa, a free spirited young woman who at first can’t stand Will, but eventually grows to love and respect Will. However, in the end, Will proceeds with his wishes and ends his life in the manner in which he wanted.

So After You picks up with Louisa’s life after Will. At the end of Me Before You, Louisa received a poignant letter from Will and a sum of money with the basic theme of ‘don’t screw this up’ (this being the life you’ve been given). However, Louisa is lost. She’s not sure what to do, she desperately misses Will and is spinning her wheels as a bar tender at a crappy bar in the airport, watching people living life in the airport. She’s trying to move on, attending a grief group, but is greatly struggling.

One night she receives a huge surprise…in the form of Will’s daughter that he was not aware of. The book leads them through the unique situation they are in, while also intertwining the key players from the first book. This part I won’t spoil, as there are a lot of complex twists/turns with this development. Throw in Louisa still trying to come to grips with her new life as the world seemingly continues to move on around her and you’ve got a not completely neat and tidy book.

With that, I have to say I was let down by this book. I guess they’re not all going to be winners, but I was particularly sad over how this book went. I don’t know if well enough should have been left alone and just left Me Before You as the only book, but I just felt down after reading this. And yes, the theme in this IS sad, but I didn’t really derive much emotion out of this book. Where Me Before You gave me the full spectrum of emotion – After You just left me feeling flat. I am bummed, I was very much looking forward to this sequel, but I suppose it is a good lesson in that sometimes a follow up is not necessary and can in fact be a detriment.

Gwen O’Brien works full time in higher ed, works full time as a wife, works full time as a mom, works full time as a dog mom and occasionally finds time to write or edit. She resides in McDonald and enjoys reading, yoga and donuts (not necessarily together) when she’s not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment