Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Winter Issue - Musings For Moms: Holiday Traditions

Musings for Moms:  Holiday Traditions



Over the years, I have tried to adopt some holiday traditions with my children because growing up I always looked forward to some of the traditions we did in my house.  The version of the seven fish Christmas Eve dinner or the tree decorations that we would make to hang every year on the tree.

The traditions that I do with my kids are getting a new ornament for the tree every year and we go see Santa Clause.  We will drive around the neighborhood and look at the Christmas lights too.  Seeing which house would make Clark proud (a reference to Christmas Vacation).

I think the traditions that we start with our children are important to give them great family memories and to pass on to their children one day.

Traditions are also important because:
  •  Traditions strengthen the family bond.  It may sound corny, but researchers have found that families that have traditions that they follow have a stronger connection and also have a feeling of being a part of something unique and special.
  • Offer comfort and security.  In the crazy fast-paced world we live in today, sometimes it is nice to know that some things won't change, that there will always be that chocolate pudding pie on the table come Christmas or a new ornament on the tree.  Sometimes they also help people get through the sad times.
  • Pass on cultural and religious heritage.  Just like my fish dinner on Christmas Eve, it is a family tradition passed on by my Italian grandmother.  One day, when I can get the boys to try seafood, they will learn all about this meal too.

Just remember no matter how big or small your tradition is, it means something.


No comments:

Post a Comment