Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Carylee Carrington

I have had the pleasure of chatting with Carylee via Zoom recently and I just had to interview her.  She is such a positive person and I just love what she is doing with Read with Carylee... 





1.        Tell us a little about yourself.

I’m Carylee Carrington, author, entrepreneur and literacy advocate. I live in Northern Virginia with my two amazing boys, where I enjoy an active lifestyle. Originally from the island of Jamaica, I grew up in New York City, before making Northern Virginia my home. I am, to some, known as the “accidental author,” because this was not where I thought my path would lead. Though I love writing, being a children’s author was the furthest thing from my mind.

In addition to my authorship, I am also an enormous supporter and advocate for the arts. I have visited schools in Virginia and Georgia, encouraging the love of reading and the art of writing as well as self-publishing. I have also expanded my love for sharing books to other media platforms such as YouTube. In 2019, I created the show, Read With Carylee, where I introduce my audience to children’s book authors, who share their books in their own voice. This helps me to continue to bring positive inspirational books to children, encouraging them to believe in their dreams and be the best version of themselves. It is my hope to continue to promote these positive messages, so that our children may grow to be strong individuals and lead the charge for a kinder and more loving future.


2.       How did “Read with Carylee” begin?


Read With Carylee started after I saw how children reacted to meeting me on author visits. I loved


seeing how they lit up, knowing that I wrote the book that was read to them. I wanted children to have the experience of hearing the book from the authors. I feel that is a great experience.


3.       Tell our readers what “Read with Carylee” is


For those who grew up with Reading Rainbow, Read With Carylee is an adaptation of that. It is a show that encourages the love of reading and helps children connect with authors. 

One of the major factors that I promote is diversity in children's literature. The authors who appear on Read With Carylee are from all cultures and backgrounds. They write books for the children around them. We get to learn about different cultures, children with varying abilities and embrace the differences of others.


4.       How many authors have you had on your show, and does anyone stand out?


I have had over 90 authors on the show. We are actually nearing our 100th episode and we have so many more great authors to come. 

I couldn't choose just one author, they are all great in their own way. They have the passion and drive for children's literature and they are giving back to the community at large. They are all great.


5.       What has been your favorite experience so far with “Read with Carylee”?


My favorite experience so far has been connecting with authors from all around the world. When I started the show, I never thought I would be connecting with authors from as far as Australia. That has been amazing.


6.     Have you had to deal with any impossible guest readers?  How did/do you handle that?


I haven't had to deal with anyone impossible. Every author has their own style. There are some that are super energetic and there are some who are shy. Just like their books, the personalities vary and I believe that is also a great lesson for children; there is not just one type of author and hopefully the audience will be able to see themselves in an author as well.


7.       Where can our readers find you (social media links)?


Readers may reach me at Instagram.com/readwithcarylee, Facebook.com/readwithcarylee, Twitter.com/readwithcarylee and readwithcarylee.com 


Nicole Leckenby is the co-founder/editor of The Holiday Café. She works full-time at the University of Pittsburgh and she has two amazing boys that keep her busy, along with a whole host of other things.  Check out her website .

No comments:

Post a Comment