Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Musings for Moms - Summertime



I am warning everyone, this post goes over a lot of random topics, but it is all stuff that has been on my mind.... 


We survived this crazy school year and we are in the middle of summer vacation.  Ever since my oldest was in kindergarten, I started the tradition of taking him for a movie on the last day of school. It was always an adventure...  When my youngest started kindergarten we took him along too... then COVID came around, no movies for the end of school in 2020.  Instead we rented or is it downloading, whatever, a movie and watched it at home with ALL THE SNACKS.  This year, we delayed the last day of school movie as there wasn't anything particular that we wanted to see in the theaters and I feel over the last year and quarter we have watched all the movies Netflix, Amazon Prime and all the other services have to offer.  We are going to go soon.  Does anyone else do last day of school things that have become traditions?  

Speaking of all the snacks, the snacks were not so kind... I gained a few pounds from those snacks and just generally not wanting to move... I started moving again a few weeks before school let out.  I started to jump rope while waiting outside for my kids buses to come.  Every day I increased the number of rotations I would jump.  It was a rough start... gah I was so out of shape.  I take a day off here and there, because I am not a machine, ha!  I have lost a few of those snack pounds I had gained and I generally am enjoying the workouts... 

I was trying to figure out a way to segway this next topic on my noggin into the post nicely - and I can't think of a smooth transition from workouts to swim suits... 

Last summer I would pack-up my laptop, get my boys and drive over to my in-laws who have a swimming pool.  I would work poolside while they would swim, when I logged off for the day, I would sometimes join them or other times we would go home and figure out what to make for dinner.  I noticed that some of my bathing suits were triggering migraines... I know what you are thinking - HOW is that possible?  For the past several years I have gotten migraines here and there and have been given special medications for them.  The thicker halter top strings would lie on my neck in just a bad position I suppose that would cause a migraine if I wore the suit too long.  

This year I wasn't going to put up with that nonsense.  I was on a mission, albeit a little difficult of one.  Stores still had their fitting rooms closed and with those extra pounds I had from ALL THE SNACKS I was a little nervous about fitting into untried on suits.  Anyway, I started my searches on Amazon.  I started a list of the ones I thought I would like, which was difficult.  I like a 2-piece, mid or high waisted.  No need to show off the c-section scars and whatnot... I am particular (I know, this is a shock to some of you).  

I feel like the swimsuit industry has changed so much in the last few years and not for the better.  I feel like there are two categories of bathing suits out there and if you aren't in your 20's or 60's you are out of luck.  Not everyone is built with the same body type... and sure there are a few options out there - but man if I was capable of manufacturing a swimsuit... 

Why is it so hard to find a bikini top that doesn't show side-boob or under-boob.  I want to be able to lift my arms and not have anything fall out. I want more than a strip to cover the girls.  And I want a clasp that is adjustable and doesn't just willy-nilly pop open.  And don't even get me started on bottoms... I didn't realize thongs were a thing in the county I live in... sure you will see them at the beaches (and when I was little it was only certain beaches that they were on) but never at the public pools.  I saw at least 3 of them at the wave pool the other day... well two were definitely thongs the other was not but she was wearing it as such.  Hey and if you have the bottom to wear that and the confidence - good for you, I have neither of those... I also have those two boys and neither of them needs to see that much of their moms behind.  

I love the look of the tankinis but those - I have tried a few and everyone I had issues with... the tops would either be too tight and rollup or too loose and just not do what it is supposed to do... which is hide all the stuff I don't want people to see... 

Men have it so much easier - the husband ordered a few suits and he is good to go... I am researching comments and everything else before I add to my cart and purchase... 

Oh well... 

Enjoy your summer!!



Nicole Leckenby is the co-founder/editor of The Holiday Café. She works full-time at the University of Pittsburgh and she has two amazing boys that keep her busy, along with a whole host of other things.  Check out her website .




No comments:

Post a Comment