Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Spring 2016 - Musings For Moms



Musings For Moms:  Women

So I am going to get up on my soapbox for a few minutes, because there are some things recently in the news that I have to discuss, that have been bothering me.

Let me start off with the Erin Andrews lawsuit.  I applaud Erin, I have never met her, but I think she is a class act.  She is not one of these women who purposely put nude pictures/videos of herself out on the internet.  No, she was stalked and filmed without her knowledge and/or permission. 

She didn't back down against the man that put the photos/video up on the net nor did she back down against the hotel.  She fought and she won.

The hotel lawyers are part of what is wrong with society today.  I was watching part of the trial, and one of the lawyers for the hotel chain basically said well look at all these jobs you have gotten since your nude image has appeared on the internet. 

Do I even need to say how many things are wrong with that statement?!  First of all, she didn't willingly pose, nor did she have any idea this was going to appear.  Second, to insinuate that she couldn't have gotten these jobs any other way or that this was the only reason she was now 'popular' and it wasn't because she was smart, talented, etc. really ticks me off. 

I mean how would this lawyer like it if his man-parts were all over the net and someone said well that's the only reason you are now getting clients... although he is a man and he would probably be excited by that prospect.

My next issue is the court case with Ke$ha... I think the judge is wrong here.
She came out and went after someone who was verbally, physically and sexually abusing her.  She shouldn't be forced to still work within the same company as the producer even if she no longer has to work with the producer that was causing this abuse.

Don't people realize how hard it is for people to come out and speak against their abusers and then for someone to force her to continue to work within that environment, just makes me shake my head and think that this is part of what is wrong with our society. 

Again, how would this judge like it if say someone he worked with was doing all of these things to him, and he couldn't be removed from the situation due to a contract?  I don't think people look at the big picture sometime or put themselves into other's shoes. 

Funny, March 8 is deemed International Women's Day, as far as I am concerned, there needs to be more than one day, and there needs to be an overhaul of the way women are perceived and looked upon, but I guess when women freely post nude photos of themselves and think it is cute, then when someone is actually violated and nudes of them are posted the lines are blurred because why wouldn't she want them up, if others do it.

Ladies, in the great words of Tim Gunn, Be sexy without being vulgar. 

So let's not give men any more reasons to blame us for their mistakes.  I am now getting off my soapbox and take a deep breath now that I got all of that out.  Thanks for listening!

*** Side note, I wrote this prior to Erin winning her case.  I think she should have gotten more, heck how much did Hulk Hogan get for his leaked sex tape? 

No comments:

Post a Comment