Friday, September 30, 2016

Musings for Moms (Fall 2016 Issue)

Bullying...

I don't think I can stress enough how much bullying disgusts me.  The mear thought of children picking on other children (or teens/tweens/etc.) is just disgusting...
I know I have written about it in the past, but I feel like this subject could always use a refresher.

The fact that bullying seems to be everywhere you turn these days, doesn't help matters... What better example of bullying than all these advertisements for the elections coming up...

I digress...

Why do children bully?  Good question, don't you think?  While I don't have an actual answer for that as I suspect it is more of a case by case basis, I would suspect it has something to do with either jealousy or the bulliers low self-esteem.  That's just a guess on my part.

What I can say, is that if your child is being bullied you need to stop the bullying on the spot - same thing goes if you find out your child is the bully... don't just turn a blind eye...

Signs your child is being bullied

  • unexplainable injuries
  • books/clothes/personal effects damaged/destroyed
  • changes in routine - eating habits change/skipping meals or binge eating
  • sudden nightmares or restless sleep
  • decline in grades/not wanting to go to school
  • loss of friends
  • decrease in self-esteem
Signs your child is the bully
  • verbal or physical altercations
  • friends are bullies
  • become more aggressive
  • regular visits to principal's office/etc.
  • unexplained money/new belongings
  • don't accept responsibility for their actions
I love that there is a new cell phone app out that will find people you can sit with at lunchtime, but in reality - shouldn't we sometimes just take a chance with the kid that is sitting all alone... he/she might become a really great friend.





No comments:

Post a Comment