Monday, October 2, 2017

Sophia Hamilton - Interview - Fall 2017

Sophia Hamilton Interview

Sophia Hamilton is a contemporary romance author from Venice, California. Her debut novel, “The Stoplight”, is available now as paperback on Amazon, and as an e-book on Kindle, Nook, and Kobo.

1. “The Stoplight” is your debut novel. How did you begin writing?

I have always enjoyed storytelling through the written word.  I have always found it easy to write papers and stories in school. I like being creative – writing always allows me to do that.

2. “The Stoplight” follows Dan through some pretty crazy circumstances. Where did you get the idea to write “The Stoplight”?

A friend of mine was telling me about this place that she goes to regularly to eat and I got the idea for my main character to run a restaurant.  The characters are in no way a reflection of the place she goes, other than it being family owned.

3. Why did you choose to self-publish your book rather than go through a publishing house? Do you have any advice to give other writers about the self-publishing process?

I went back and forth with this quite a bit actually.  I would have rather gone through a publishing house because they promote the books – it’s hard to promote yourself when you are new to the scene.  But I also didn’t want them to totally change my book into something it isn’t.  I have also seen authors who start out with the indie route and then get attached with a pub house and have conflicts because they don’t have the creative freedoms they once had anymore.  I would rather have that freedom and build my fan base.
4. Do you have plans for any future novels?

I do.  There is potential in the book for it to be at least a trilogy.  I have a great idea for the next book and have literally started putting pencil to paper for it.

5. What advice do you have for other writers seeking to get their start in publishing?

Follow your dreams.  If you love what you have written – and it is of good quality – then go for it.  Don’t let someone tell you that you aren’t good enough.

6. Do you have anything else you would like to add?

It’s not always easy – but that doesn’t mean not to follow your dreams.  Be true to yourself and there is nothing to worry about.

Contact Sophia on Facebook at Sophia Hamilton, on Twitter at @sophiah_author, by email at sophiahamilton618@gmail.com, or on her website at https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B075ZZZQFQ and https://www.sophiahamiltonauthor.blogspot.com.

Rachael Bindas is a freelance writer and editor from Pittsburgh, PA. She focuses mainly on fiction, but still harbors a deep love for poetry. Her work has been featured in Moledro Magazine, Aeons, The Curious Element Magazine, and The Holiday Cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment