Friday, June 30, 2017

In with the OLD and Out with the NEW - Summer 2017


I am rather envious of the music selection that my grandparents and parents had the opportunity to grow up with. The soundtracks to their lives were filled with emotion and real instruments ranging from string to horn sections. The vocals were raw and real, with no interference of backing tracks or lip-syncing. The musicians may have had egos back then, but they could back those egos up with talent. Concerts mattered more back then, and records were affordable. The music was timeless.

I really don’t understand music today. Is this really the best the music industry can produce? If one were to say “yes,” then that’s rather pathetic and embarrassing. I grew up on the explosion of boy bands and electronic-tinged music. Back then I was all about it. Now that I am older I was hoping that the music industry would grow and change with me. The music today is watered down and emotionless; the songs are usually about love or ballin’! To be brutally honest, when driving I’d rather sit in my car in silence than listen to what is playing on the radio.

Well-known musicians in today’s generation, are you only in this industry for the money and the fame? If you say “yes,” then it shows. If you were in this industry for the music, then the music wouldn’t sound so limp, and I probably wouldn’t feel so robbed.

I will never understand the purpose of pop country. I feel bad for those who think pop country is actually country music. I have to sit and wonder what the early country icons who paved the way would say about today’s sound.

Some say it’s not the artist in control of their music; it’s the suits at the record labels with the control. If that’s the case, maybe the artists should grow a pair and stand up for good quality music. The industry is hanging on by a thread. What do you have to lose?


To the suits at the record labels:

Can you do me a favor? Next time you sign an artist, can you make sure they are authentic and have actual talent? Maybe the artist can have more qualities than just being marketable. At this point it shows that you are not in this industry for the music; you are in it for the money. Also, there are other ways to sell music other than sex. Let the artist’s talent speak for itself.

I have been observing local musicians to compare the old and newer musicians. I find that older musicians are more loyal to quality music. They educate themselves, and they still practice, practice, practice. The older musicians can careless about smoke and mirrors and are more down to earth.

Some of these newer musicians I have seen just generate mediocre music in hopes of catching their big break. I hope that’s going well for them because there music shows that they are trying to prove to people that they are a so-called ‘somebody’ rather than caring about the music. Also, the newer musicians like to play this name dropping game of ‘Oh, I worked with this person, and this person.’ ‘Oh yeah, well I worked with so and so.’ I am not sure why name dropping matters. Is it because the newer musicians lack confidence? Or is it because once again they are trying to prove they are a ‘somebody’? I love when I hear newer musicians come to a gig and they openly admit to their band members that they did not practice what they were supposed to, as if not practicing is something to be proud of and is acceptable. The egos of some of the newer musicians are ridiculous because they act like the world owes them something. What exactly does the world owe you? You can barely keep your band together or you completely destroyed your band because you did not want to listen to others who had more experience in the industry.
My all-time favorite is cover bands who get overly drunk and botch songs on stage. Give yourself a pat on the back because you are really doing justice for the music industry!


With time I hope we can see a stronger music scene. Musicians should care about the quality of music, having a strong set list prepared, a song selection that fits the vocalist, and pay attention to the crowd and not what’s on the television. Music should have raw emotion and multiple instruments, and I hope to see local venues and guests show stronger support to local musicians.

I do want to acknowledge musicians young or old who work hard and do everything they can to make the music industry a better place. I thank you.


Natalie is the author of The Many Colors of Natalie, a book of poetry.  She holds an associates degree in Specialized Technology Le Cornon Bleu Pastry Arts and in her spare time is an artist and percussionist.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. The talent of today is boring! Keep me in the 70's. I liked that music so much better! The country stars of yesterday were so full of great music. It's really hard to listen to the so called country of today. If you want to be pop, record pop.

    ReplyDelete